4 things to define a Christian

1. I attend church regularly
2. I don't cuss in front of you.
3. I have some scripture memorized that I can quote in certain situations.
4. I can give you moral advice.
If I can do those 4 things then I am a godly man or woman in our culture.
I would add any number of things to this list including: I don't drink alcohol, I only listen to Christian music, I only wear cool clothes, or I only wear really nerdy/ unattractive clothes for that matter.  The possibilities are endless. 

But doing those things do not at all exemplify what I believe scripture teaches is the characteristic of the truly converted, that which he describes as one dealing with the dark places in the heart and being obedient not to the arbitrary rules of religion but actually having communion with God, a relationship with the divine for which we were created.  
I know I suck here.  I haven't always, but always more than is acceptable.  I suppose anything lacking is unacceptable since I don't see where you could draw the line and say "I'm alright now," since that would be making arbitrary religious rules too.  Funny how that works.

0 comments: